Tuesday, June 15, 2010

World Cup Me Balls!!!




Chim-chimney, chim-chimney, chim-chim cheeroo, we got Tim Howard and he says "FUCK YOU"!!!!
I always liked that one, especially since he has Tourettes... So you know, he probably WOULD say that or something...
At any rate, I have spent more time watching this World Cup than I have since... uh, ever. I admit I am not a big soccer guy. Never played it, considered it sort of a poof sport played by a bunch of long hairs and Nancys, but I may be coming around. I still don't see what all the fuss is about really, but if it inspires the BEST NIKE AD EVER
then there must be something to it.

I tell you what I am NOT a fan of though.. Vuvuzelas.

I had no idea WTF a Vuvuzela was till last week. It is the new MOST OBNOXIOUS. sports thing ever.
What I don't get, I suppose is the insistence that this is some sort of "time honored" right of South African jackasses to blow this stupid horn all day and night. According to Michael Wilbon on yesterday's PTI "this is there thing they have always done, it's an South African thing", actually Wilbon couldn't be any more wrong. It's a Mexican originated thing that only became popular in South Africa in about 1992 or so. And yes, you can ban them. Mississippi State had to ban the cow bells
(thank GOD) and they were there a hell of a longer than the vuvuzelas. The Red Wings had to ban the octopus twirl because of PETA didn't like it. So don't act like it's the oldest, most sacred tradition ever in the history of the world and you can't tell fans how to act and celebrate. Cause they do. ALL the TIME. And I'm okay with that...

Outside of a bunch of slanted coverage from the Western media, and the perpetual love-in with all things Africa right now and the aforementioned horns, I really don't have any problems with it so far. In fact, I am considering becoming a fan. I love the party atmosphere, I love the fan devotion. I especially love how the British press, in typical complete knee jerk reaction, has thrown the goalie completely under the bus. I love the hysteria following each and every game. I love Nuts Magazine (NSFW) and Brazilian Playboy (NSFW!!!!). If this is how the rest of the world gets down for sports, count me in...

No comments:

Post a Comment